No More Resolutions

res·o·lu·tion
ˌrezəˈlo͞oSH(ə)n/
A firm decision to do or not do something.




So every year we all make these crazy resolutions to make us "better people" and some make realistic ones while others seem to be reaching for the stars. But this year I am resolving to not make a resolution. Now don't get me wrong, I am still going to strive to be a better person each and every day, but a resolution is setting yourself up for failure. We are not perfect and old habits die hard... why do you think so many people buy those gym memberships in January and then stop going by March? It's because they are expecting themselves to have magically flipped a switch and never mess up. But again.. we are not perfect! We were never intended to be either. So instead of making a crazy resolution to lose weight, work out more, eat better, watch less TV, spend more time with family, blah blah blah blah blah.... I am going to set myself up the right way. 

Instead of making myself promises I can't keep, I'm going to set myself up for improvement the right way. I am going to try every day to be better over all.... healthier, nicer, more forgiving, more holy, and so much more. But I am also going to prepare myself mentally for those days that I fail. I am going to do my best to eat right, but guess what. I can promise you that one of these days, probably within the next couple weeks even, I will give in and eat the doughnut that my coworkers brought to work.  BUT  I will forgive myself for it and I will not let it get me down and out and give up on my goals. 

And yes, just like 80% of Americans, I will be starting a workout and eating plan on Monday and today I have started my day by paying close attention to what I'm eating and drinking. But I also know that going from bad to perfect just isn't going to happen and I'm gonna love myself anyway!



Now... Having said all that... I am going to be trying some new adventures this year!! My amazing and wonderful boyfriend managed to get some backpacking gear for me this Christmas and My sister and I have already started to plan a section hike on the Appalachian Trail (which I am super excited about!). I will be doing more hiking this year, even if they are mostly just small day hikes.
I will also be running a half marathon this spring. I am out of shape and I will be working hard to try to get in shape in time, but lets be honest... I just said I wasn't perfect. My goal for this half marathon is very simple. I JUST WANT TO FINISH IT!
I am also moving. My boyfriend and I are buying a house in a small waterfront neighborhood in Shady Side and it is a big fixer upper. But we are excited to build a home together and make it all our own! 

The rest of the year will be full of mysteries and adventure and I'm sure plenty of ups and downs. but I am ready, and I will strive (not resolve) to be merciful and forgiving (mostly to myself, after all, I am my own worst critic!).

I hope you all have a great year in 2016 and I hope that you find peace and happiness in the coming year.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adult Life

Jeremiah 29:11

Live and Learn